Dr. Yael Jacob’s research focus is developing and implementing new computational methods for the study of complex brain networks using functional and structural MRI. The main goal of her research is to understand how brain networks work and how different networks or sub-networks communicate and influence each other during different mental states. Dr. Jacob specialize in the mathematical field of graph theory and use it to study how neural networks interact during different cognitive tasks and their different manifestation among brain pathologies. She had implemented these methods deciphering brain network mechanisms that underlie behavioral and pathological differences in different neurological diseases and psychiatric disorders. Her current work is focused on applying graph theory and machine learning algorithms to decipher imaging biomarkers of certain pathologies such as epilepsy and major depressive disorder.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Jacob Y, Morris L S, Huang K H, Schneider M, Rutter S, Verma G, Murrough J W and Balchandani P (2020). Neural Correlates of Rumination in Major Depressive Disorder: A Brain Network Analysis. NeuroImage: Clinical, p.102142.
- Jacob Y, Rosenberg-Katz K, Gurevich T, Helmich R, Bloem B, Orr Urtreger A, Giladi N, Mirelman A, Hendler T, Thaler A (2019). Network abnormalities among non-manifesting Parkinson disease related LRRK2 mutation carriers. Human Brain Mapping, under review. Hum Brain Mapp. 1– 10. https://doi.org/10.1002/hbm.24543
- Jacob Y, Shany O, Goldin P R, Gross J J, Hendler T (2018). Reappraisal of Interpersonal Criticism in Social Anxiety Disorder: A Brain Network Hierarchy Perspective. Cerebral Cortex. bhy181. https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhy181
- Jacob Y, Gilam G, Lin T, Raz G and Hendler T (2018). Anger Modulates Influence Hierarchies Within and Between Emotional Reactivity and Regulation Networks. Front. Behav. Neurosci. 12:60. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2018.00060.
- Jacob Y, Or-Borichev A, Jackont G, Lubianiker N, Hendler T (2018) Network Based fMRI Neuro-Feedback for Emotion Regulation; Proof-of-Concept. In: Cherifi C., Cherifi H., Karsai M., Musolesi M. (eds) Complex Networks & Their Applications VI. COMPLEX NETWORKS 2016 2017. Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol 689. Springer, Cham
- Jacob Y, Winetraub Y, Raz G, Ben-Simon E, Okon-Singer H, Rosenberg-Katz K, Hendler T & Ben-Jacob E (2016). Dependency Network Analysis (DEPNA) Reveals Context Related Influence of Network Nodes. Scientific Reports 6, 27444, doi:10.1038/srep2744.
- Jacob Y, Rapson A, Kafri M, Baruchi I, Hendler T, Ben Jacob E (2010). Revealing voxel correlation cliques by functional holography analysis of fMRI. J Neurosci Methods 191:126-137.
- Raz G, Winetraub Y, Jacob Y, Kinreich S, Maron-Katz A, Shaham G, Podlipsky I, Gilam G, Soreq E, Hendler T (2012). Portraying emotions at their unfolding: a multilayered approach for probing dynamics of neural networks. Neuroimage 60:1448-1461.
- Raz G, Jacob Y, Gonen T, Winetraub Y, Flash T, Soreq E, Hendler T (2013). Cry for her or cry with her: context-dependent dissociation of two modes of cinematic empathy reflected in network cohesion dynamics. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci.
- Rosenberg-Katz K, Herman T, Jacob Y, Giladi N, Hendler T, Hausdorff JM (2013). Gray matter atrophy distinguishes between Parkinson disease motor subtypes. Neurology 80:1476-1484.
- Jacob Y, Papo D, Ben-Jacob E, Hendler T (2012). Functional Holography and Cliques in Brain Activation Patterns: INTECH Open Access Publisher.
Selected Conference Abstracts
- Jacob Y, Morris LS, Huang KH, Schneider M, Verma G, Murrough JW & Balchandani P. Aberrant Functional Brain Network Topology for Classification between Major Depressive Disorder and Healthy Controls. Proceedings of the ISMRM 28th Scientific Meeting, 2020.
- Jacob Y, Morris LS, Huang KH, Schneider M, Verma G, Murrough JW, Balchandani P. Neural Correlates of Rumination in Normal and Major Depressive Disorder: A Brain Network Analysis. International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) 27th Annual Meeting & Exhibition, Montréal, QC, Canada, May, 2019.
- Jacob Y, Or-Borichev A, Jackont G, Lubianiker N, Hendler T. Network Based fMRI Neuro-Feedback for Emotion Regulation; Proof-of-Concept. In: Cherifi C., Cherifi H., Karsai M., Musolesi M. (eds) Complex Networks & Their Applications VI. COMPLEX NETWORKS 2016 2017. Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol 689. Springer, Cham, 2018.
- Jacob Y, Winetraub Y, Raz G, Ben-Simon E, Rosenberg-Katz K, Ben-Jacob E, Hendler T. Dependency network analysis depicts functional brain network’s flow of information. The International School and Conference on Network Science NetSciX 2017. Tel Aviv, Israel, January 2017.
- Jacob Y, Gross J, Hendler T, Goldin P. Dynamics of Emotion Regulation in Social Anxiety Disorder depicted by Dependency Network Analysis. Organization for Human Brain Mapping (OHBM), Geneva, Switzerland, 2016.
- Jacob Y, Raz G, Rosenberg-Katz K, Hendler T, Ben-Jacob E. Revealing Context Related Dynamics of Brain Network Hierarchy by Dependency Network Analysis of fMRI. The 21st NetSci Conference. Berkeley, California, USA, June 2014.
- Jacob Y, Rapson A, Kafri M, Baruchi I, Hendler T and Ben-Jacob E. Lecture title: “Functional Holography (FH) Analysis Applied to fMRI Data”. Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Vancouver, Canada, December 2008.